Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Writer's Notebook


Yes, it will return this fall. Our Writer's Notebooks will be back - filled with our noticings about ourselves and our noticings about the world, and, most importantly, it will also be filled with what we notice that we believe should be different than it is now, and what we might do about that.

Next week, my final project is due for my class. I must admit that I'm nervous because besides a lot of thinking, I have not started my project. A week is not a lot of time, so today I'm committing to some serious planning. My project, I decided yesterday, will focus on our Writer's Notebook. It will start with daily writing, just like last year, but it will also be a tool to review our thinking and discover what matters to us, a springboard for bigger writing - stories, poems, essays, pamphlets, and other pieces. It will be a place to capture and examine our thoughts before talking to others about what matters to us. Ultimately, it will help us connect our lives to our world and to make plans to do something to make our world a better place.


The style of your notebook is totally your choice this year. Lat year we tried the binder, so that you'd only have one thing to bring to class. I'm not sold that it is the ultimate Writer's Notebook for all of us. If you liked the binder, go for it! Keep your Writer's Notebook (TOGETHER) in there. If you didn't, find something else that works for you - something mobile, useful, and something that you love. Maybe you find a fat, 5-subject notebook in lime green that calls your name. Maybe it's a black and white marbled composition book. Maybe it's one with Hello Kitty or a Transformer on the front! Your choice.

I know it's only June, so do you really have to start thinking about your Writer's Notebook yet? No. Live your lives fully this summer. Notice the world around you. Make it your habit to be awake, thinking people who LIVE in this fascinating world of ours!

Happy Tuesday!
Ms. Hagen

No comments:

Post a Comment