Sunday, July 18, 2010

What to write about

Happy Sunday morning to everyone! I'm a little worried that our pool plans may be put on hold the way the sky looks this morning. It was pretty an hour ago when a pink glow spread across the blue. Now we just have gray dotted with darker gray, and I can hear the far-off rumbles of thunder.

Tomorrow starts the Missouri Writing Project. I was having nervous heart palpitations this morning thinking about it. The class will be full of people I know, which is great, except when it comes to sharing writing with them. If it's a bunch of strangers, then who cares if my writing is good or not? But with my friends, I feel a lot of pressure to write something meaningful. You know about this, don't you? It's the same pressure you all feel when sharing your writing in class. It's nerve-wracking!!

So, here's what I did to help myself. I sat with my journal (just like Dumbledore's penseive) and wrote down a list of topics I care about. Then I sat and listed possible formats I could write in. Here's my list:
  • adopting needy kids from other countries as "better" than adopting needy U.S. kids
  • school lunch
  • materialism, consumerism
  • advertising
  • minimalism
  • owning stuff vs. stuff owning you
  • downsizing
  • our new house
  • my kids - the 5-year review
  • my kids' birth mom
  • raising kids: competing theories of how to raise "good" kids
  • what are "good" kids???
  • the negative impact of rewards & punishments

And, then my list of types of writing:

  • poems
  • essays
  • articles
  • short stories
  • descriptive pieces
  • letters
  • editorials
  • blog posts
  • newsletter articles

Look at that! Totally enough material for class. After all, it's ONLY 8 DAYS LONG! I felt so much better after seeing these lists. Writing does that for me - it pulls the fear out of me and lets me look realistically at whatever is scaring me. Usually, I realize it's not as bad as I think. Or, if I see that it is bad, at least I can begin to see a path to a solution.

Happy Sunday to everyone!

Ms. Hagen

2 comments:

  1. You should go to one of my Mom's workshops! She's an educational consultant, and she travels teaching teachers, and parents a loved based approach discipline; based off of Dr. Becky Bailey's (her boss) curiculum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to do that - I read one of Dr. Bailey's books and thought it was fantastic! I'll have to find out when your mom is doing a workshop and go! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete