Friday, July 16, 2010

MWP Assignment #1

Monday I begin the Missouri Writing Project, the 2nd class I'm taking. It's focus is on writing for social justice, and my first assignment is to write a poem, based on "I, Too, Sing America" by Langston Hughes. I think I have several poems of this style floating in my head, but here's the first one:

I, Too, Paint America

I, too, paint America.

I bought the nice house
With neutral beige walls,
A Design to Sell paragon.

But I dreamed
Of airy blues and greens,
Pops of fuchsia and orange.

Tomorrow
I'll take my brush
And personalize my home
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Anyone could live here"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see my home is alive,
Not a set behind the mask of a television screen,
And be ashamed.

I, too, am America.

Lynn Hagen
July 2010

So, I'm very excited about this class, the prospect of two weeks living as a writer, creating everyday. Yes, it's a little daunting too - that little voice in my head saying, "Is it good enough?" keeps creeping in. But, you know what? I'm going to step on that little bug. I'm going to live out loud in my writing whether it's good enough or not.

Happy live-out-loud Friday! Enjoy each moment of this day!
Ms. Hagen

No comments:

Post a Comment